A cicada craze is taking hold at Simple Solutions! Why? It happens somewhere almost every year, and this year it’s happening in our home state!
Any day now, the 17-year cicadas (Brood V) will most likely be arriving in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and Maryland. (If you don’t live in any of these states, perhaps the cicadas visited you last year, or they will arrive in your home state within the next year or so.)
Whether you’re likely to see any cicadas this year or not, download these free activities, and use them for reading comprehension, science, writing, or math. If you want to make more worksheets specific to the standard you are teaching, be sure to check out our new Worksheet Generator! It is packed with problems sorted by standard to create a personalized lesson for your students.
- Magicicada, 2016: They’re Back! (passage suitable for students in grades 4-6)
- Question Worksheet (with answers and CCSS codes)
Writing Prompts and Activities
Crossword Puzzle (for reviewing Tier II and Tier III vocabulary)
Cicada Math Worksheet
Links to some great resources we found while researching the unit:
- Cicada Map (see writing prompts page for suggested assignment)
- Life Cycle Graphic
- Physical Characteristics
- Cicada Booklet (PDF)
- Cleveland Metroparks
- The Return of the Cicadas — very detailed; aired in 2012; 58 min.
- Why are Cicadas So Good at Math? — just a bit dated; published in 2015; 6:32 min.
- Return of the Cicadas — our favorite; published in 2013; 7:25 min.