The ability to read impacts all aspects life, but above all, reading is essential for learning. That’s why schools and districts all over the country set rigorous reading proficiency goals for students in the primary grades.
From preschool through third grade, children are learning to read; by fourth grade, they are reading to learn, and from then on, more than 85% of curriculum is delivered through reading. Here are some research-based recommendations for increasing reading proficiency leading up to grade three:
- Develop awareness of the segments of sounds in speech and how they link to letters.
- Teach students to decode words, analyze word parts, recognize and write words.
- Ensure that students read every day to support reading accuracy, fluency, and comprehension.
Obviously, teachers devote a great deal of classroom time to these endeavors. But even more can be accomplished by making good use of homework and independent study time. For the primary grades, Simple Solutions books provide daily lessons with just the right amount of independent reading practice; these lessons are perfect for homework or independent classwork.
Simple Solutions Reading Comprehension, Level 2 is for second graders; it features
- 108 lessons, each with a passage and standards-based, text-dependent items
- 50/50 ratio of literary (fiction) and informational (nonfiction) text
- a quiz at the end of each unit (18 quizzes in all) and pre/post-test
- writing modules with text-based prompts that correspond with each of the 18 units
Simple Solutions Reading Comprehension lessons can be done independently, in small groups, and/or with the assistance of an adult. Students self-check their work using answers the teacher displays on a whiteboard or reads aloud. Unit quizzes give the teacher a way to monitor student progress and plan interventions.
Click on the icons below to download Simple Solutions Reading Comprehension, Level 2 reading and writing sample lessons and guides.